Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Pride and Prejudice

I first read P&P ages ago, it's my favorite book by the author and it just may be my favorite book, period.  I try to read it every year, I love the characters, setting, story, everything about it.  A funny thing happens when the kids and the husband see me reading Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.  I get the eye-rolls, the giggles and my husband's not-again look. I knew what I was going to have to go through when I went looking for Pride & Prejudice on the bookshelf.  I know I may go a little bit overboard with it, I'll read the book, then I want to watch any type of version of movies, mini-series, etc, that I can get my hands on...And that's the main reason for the eye-rolls, giggles and the not-again looks.


I cannot help myself.  I lose myself within book with Lizzy and Darcy, and even I know the story so well, there's always something new that pops out at me. My husband says that I get a dreamy eye look, whenever I read or watch the adaptions of P&P.  At first he thought it was because of the actors that portrayed Darcy, but I had to explain to him that even though they were great looking, it wasn't what kept me coming back for more and more.  It's Darcy's character, his need to improve himself, it almost feels like an inner struggle. He knows his worth to and within society, but there's this singular girl that questions him in the most personal way. He is my favorite character of the novel. Lizzy is wonderful character as well, but I'm Darcy girl.  I love the villains in this book, Lady Catherine and Wickham are quite a pair, delicious...

I did read the book during the weekend, and yes, I got the eye-rolls, the giggles and the not-again looks.  I haven't watched any of the mini-series or movies, yet. Anyway, I read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen for the Pride and Prejudice Bicentenary Challenge hosted by Austenprose. But I'm sure I'll be "suffering" throughout the rest of the year, when I explore other P&P versions out there. And I'll love every single minute of it.

Because it was a re-read, I won't add it to my reading totals for the year.

To see what other people are saying or if you want to join in the fun visit here.

No comments: