Thursday, April 26, 2012

Wedding of the Season

Abandoned at the altar . . .Lady Beatrix Danbury had always known she would marry William Mallory. She'd loved him forever and she'd never doubted he loved her, too. But when she made him choose between their life together or his lifelong dream, Will chose the latter . . . and left two weeks before their wedding. Return of the duke . . . Will has no illusions that Beatrix would welcome him back with open arms, but six years did not dim his love or desire for her. The only problem is, she's about to marry someone else. Someone safe and predictable . . . the complete opposite of Will. But can he stop the wedding of the season and win Beatrix back, or is it just too late?


It's been ages since I read a book by Laura Lee Guhrke, I believe the reason I stopped reading her was because of a few of her previous books I felt were, for the lack of a better word, crappy. Lately I've been seeing her titles around and it got me curious.  I know she's in the middle of a new series, so I decided to start at the beginning. I'm beginning with the first book of Abandoned at the Altar series, Wedding of the Season.


Beatrix and Will were childhood sweethearts, they always knew that they would marry.  But a few weeks before their wedding Will gets an offer to join an Egyptian dig and he assumes that Beatrix will accompany him.  She on the other hand does not want to leave England and gives Will an ultimatum, his dream or her.  He chooses his dream.  And Beatrix is left with a broken heart. Fast forward six years, Will is returning to England and Beatrix is getting ready to get married to another man. And that's when the struggle begins, following your heart or following what society deems acceptable.


To be completely honest I didn't have high hopes for this book, so I was surprised on how much I enjoyed Beatrix and Will's story.  They were both great characters, each with their own conflicts and desires and it seemed that they just needed a little more time to sort their feelings and set course to their life together.  I enjoyed that the book set in the Edwardian time, it was a nice change to either Regency or Victorian times. The author did a great job with the fashion of time and also the technology that was available in the early 1900's.  


I guess I'm back on the Laura Lee Guhrke bandwagon!  After reading the teaser of the next book I'm itching to read it.


Wedding of the Season by Laura Lee Guhrke (3.5/5) Historical Romance; Published: Avon (12/2010); Series: # 1, Abandoned at the Altar; Library; Books 2012 (35);

No comments: