Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Deception of the Emerald Ring

Emerald rings aren't all they are cracked up to be....
Eloise Kelly has gotten into quite a bit of trouble since she's been spying on the Pink Carnation and the Black Tulip - two of the deadliest spies to saunter the streets of nineteenth-century England and France. Not only has been unearthing secrets that will change the course of history, she's been dallying with Colin Selwick - great-nephew of Mrs Selwick-Alderly, the keeper of important hidden documents - looking for a romantic adventure of her own. 
Little does she know there's another fierce heroine running headlong into history... 
It's 1803 England, and Letty Alsworthy awakens in the middle of the night to discover that her sister, Mary, is about to make the very grave mistake of eloping with Geoffrey Pinchingdale-Snipe (second in command of the League of the Purple Gentian). In an attempt to save the family name, Letty tries to break up the midnight assignation - only to find herself accidentally carried off in her sister's place. The ensuing scandal forces Letty and Geoff into a hasty marriage - and just as hastily, Geoff disappears on their wedding night, under orders to hurry to Ireland and help the Pink Carnation squash a ring of Irish rebels led by the Black Tulip. Not to be outdone by her husband, Letty steals away on a ship bound for the Emerald Isle, armed and ready to fight for her integrity, and learn a thing or two about espionage - never imagining that she might learn a few things about love on the way...


After reading the previous book of this popular series, I had high hopes for The Deception of the Emerald Ring


Although I find the misunderstanding theme in romance novels to be over done and sometimes to be pointless in the story line, I enjoyed the way that Letty and Geoff are basically thrown together due to a "misunderstanding", it fit in nicely. I loved the way that Letty stood up for herself and her principles, and the way she was willing to help Geoff, even though he was a brute to her. Their relationship I found to be very quick, considering that at the beginning they had professed their dislike for each other, it just seemed to me that their friendship should have develop before love sparked, it would have made more sense (to me at least).  I can't really comment of the history part of the novel because I truly don't know much of Irish history, but I can tell you that it has sparked a interest and I will be looking into it.  


Even though I enjoyed this book, I still think that The Masque of the Black Tulip was better.  But so far I'm finding this series to be very good, and I cannot wait to read The Seduction of Crimson Rose.


The Deception of the Emerald Ring by Lauren Willig (4/5) Historical Fiction; Published: Dutton Adult (11/2006); Series: # 3, Pink Carnation; Library; Books 2012 (20);

No comments: